Baking soda isn’t just used to make your favorite baked goods or to polish your silver, it also has some awesome house cleaning uses you perhaps did not know about. Baking soda’s history goes back to 1843 when a British chemist, in attempt to help his wife who was allergic to yeast, created a baking powder. By 1927, baking soda’s uses were being promoted heavily by magazines nationwide, specifically in house cleaning topics.
Aside from your usual baking soda uses here are a few cool uses you probably didn’t know about:
Cleaning Your Bathroom With It
- Forget purchasing a bathroom cleaner, make your own with vinegar, a bit of baking soda, and a tablespoon of liquid detergent.
- Clean your toilet by scrubbing it with baking soda.
Cleaning Yourself and Your Stuff With It With It
- Use it to clean dandruff from your hair by using it like a shampoo, don’t over do it though and don’t use it the same day you use shampoo.
- Use it to clean your mouth like a mouthwash.
- Mixed with liquid detergent, you can use it to wash your clothes so they are cleaner and brighter.
- Clean your hairbrushes and combs by soaking them in a bowl or small bucket of warm water and baking soda.
- Use it to wash your toothbrushes by letting them sit in a mixture of water and baking soda.
Cleaning Your Kitchen and Kitchen Stuff With It
- Use it to scrub your grill by putting some in a damp brush and scrubbing away.
- Wash your coffee maker and dishwasher with it, just add some of it and let it run on its own without anything.
- Clean your produce with it by putting applying some on a sponge like you would with dish soap.
Lastly, you can also use it to freshen up your carpet and rugs, just apply sprinkles of it and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes, and vacuum it away.
Baking soda is awesome,hands down, and regardless if you do your own house cleaning or not, you should definitely have it stored and ready to go.